A SMALL WEDDING AT BLUE HILL AT STONE BARN’S PRIVATE DINING ROOM
16 Intimate Wedding and Elopement Locations in the Hudson Valley & Catskills
Many couples are opting for an intimate wedding and elopement in the Hudson Valley these days, especially with larger gatherings currently being banned in New York due to COVID-19. Whether you are hosting an elopement, a tiny wedding, or a micro wedding there are many locations to choose from in the Hudson Valley and Catskills. This blog will focus on a select list of 14 Hudson Valley and Catskill restaurants and wedding venues that can accommodate 50 guests or less. I added some additional information about Airbnb weddings at the end of this blog. Also, an adventure elopement, in which you and your love say I do in a more remote outdoor location is also a possibility but is not covered here.
You can find out more about my favorite adventure elopement locations here:
1. The Goosefeather Restaurant at Tarrytown House Estate is the newest location on this list that can accommodate an intimate wedding or elopement. The Goosefeather Restaurant is part of the 26 acre Tarrytown House Estate that serves as a hotel, conference center, and event venue. The Tarrytown House Estate actually boasts four locations to host a wedding. The Goosefeather is located in the quaint King Mansion. In early 2019, I photographed a small wedding at the King Mansion. The bride and groom got ready and had a small ceremony at the King Mansion. They, along with their 12 guests, then headed to Blue Hill at Stone Barns for an amazing wedding dinner reception in the private dining room (Stone Barns at Blue Hill is also listed below). Follow this link to check out my photos from an intimate wedding at The Tarrytown House Estate
Since I last photographed at the Tarrytown House Estate, the King Mansion has undergone a complete modern renovation. This included the opening of the Goosefeather Restaurant on the first floor. The Goosefeather, helmed by celebrity chef Dale Tade “pays tribute to the food of Hong Kong with a focus on noodles, family-style Cantonese barbecue, and dumplings”. Yum!
Goosefeather can accommodate up to 180 guests for dinner but with the four separate dining rooms, and outdoor seating you will have options. Honestly, I thought the King Mansion was gorgeous before the renovation but it looks even more incredible now. The best part is that there are lovely guest rooms upstairs. So convenient! Better yet, the light in the top floor suites is incredible. It is my favorite room to photograph a bride getting ready in (photo below). I would recommend any couple wanting a cozy Hudson Valley Mircowedding in a hip new space to jump at hosting their wedding at the Goosefeather.
BRIDE GETTING READY IN KING MANSION AT THE TARRYTOWN HOUSE ESTATE
2. Le Canard Enchaine maybe a well known friendly and cozy French restaurant in Kingston, NY but few realize that the side dining room makes for a great location to host an intimate wedding and elopement in the Hudson Valley. I know because I photographed such a wedding there. This wedding couple had their ceremony at a local church and then forty of their guests joined them for a fun wedding reception at Le Canard Encahine. The side dining room at Le Canard is quaint and conducive to having a good time and enjoying a special meal. I personally love this restaurant.
A MICROWEDDING AT LE CANARD ENCAHINE IN KINGSTON, NY
3. The Restaurant Hellsinki is located in Hudson, NY, and is housed in an 1863 Instudustrial building alongside Club Helsinki, a live music venue. The restaurant has a capacity of 85. Brick, leather and industrial finishes make this a great place to hold a small Hudson Valley wedding.
4. Wm. Farmer and Sons restaurant is another great intimate wedding and elopement location in Hudson, NY. Wm. Farmer and Sons has three sit down dinner capacity options: 22, 50, or 7 people. The main dining room is elegant and features a wide range of culinary offerings inspired by the bounty of Hudson Valley farms. In addition, Wm. Farmer and Sons can also accommodate your wedding guests overnight in their 13 charming guest rooms.
5. Dolly’s Restaurant overlooks the Hudson River at Garrison’s Landing in Garrison, NY. Dolly’s Restaurant is near and dear to me. I personally know one of the owners, Shelley Boris. Shelley is a well respected Hudson Valley chef known for the use of sustainable ingredients. She also runs Fresh Company catering that services off-site weddings. Dolly’s and Fresh Company both “emphasize the use of local, fresh ingredients from the Hudson Valley, much of it is organic. Our food is comforting and cosmopolitan.” In sum, Shelly’s food is delicious, unique, and substantive.
Dolly’s Restaurant offers two options for hosting a micro wedding. There is the super cozy back dining room or the downstairs dining area – both can seat up to 24 guests. The downstairs room opens up to a side lawn that straddles the Hudson River.
I would be amiss if I did not mention that Dolly’s Restaurant was the former home of the beloved Guinan’s Country Store and Pub and where I first started taking pictures. https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/31/nyregion/31towns.html
I have photographed an elopement at Dolly’s last year. You can check it out here: https://christineashburnweddings.com/2020/02/10/hudson-valley-wedding-elopement/
Prior to heading over to Dolly’s for a tiny wedding, the bride and groom eloped on the banks of the Hudson River in front of the Gazebo on Garrison’s Landing. There is a small site fee for having a wedding ceremony on Garrison’s Landing and you can contact The Garrison Landing’s Association through their website for more information: https://www.garrisonslanding.org/
Dolly’s is named after the famed Barbara Streisand movie which was filmed on Garrison’s Landing.
AN ELOPEMENT AT GARRISON’S LANDING WITH A RECEPTION AT DOLLY’S RESTAURANT
6. The Bell Tower Venue is located in the quaint town of Rosendal and is widely known as an alternative Hudson Valley venue. The Belltower was originally built as a Dutch Reform church in 1896. Many couples wanting a more vintage feel to their wedding have been flocking here. There is one large room with a vaulted ceiling and a bar that you can use your imagination with. The capacity is 120.
7. The Hudson House, in Cold Spring, is relatively unknown for an intimate wedding and elopement in the Hudson Valley. I will be photographing my first wedding there this year. The Hudson House is a quaint inn and restaurant that was built in 1832. There are several overnight accommodations on site. The Hudson House is the closest public establishment on the riverfront in Cold Spring. There are many photographic opportunities within walking distance.
Also, super cool is The Chapel Restoration – which is within walking distance to The Hudson House. The Chapel Restoration is an 1833 Greek Revival chapel perched above the Hudson River – a truly magical place to host your nuptials. https://www.chapelrestoration.org/
A WEDDING CEREMONY AT THE CHAPEL RESTORATION IN COLD SPRING, NY
8. The Bykenhulle House is a bed and breakfast built-in 1841. It is located in Hopewell Junction. The ballroom was later added to accommodate private events and Hudson Valley micro weddings. The ballroom has a lovely light and airy feel to it. The most common headcount ranges from 50 to 80 people. The Brykenhulle House can accommodate up to 13 overnight guests.
9. Owls Hoot Barn in West Coxsackie, NY features a rustic barn that can accommodate up to 180 guests. However, they are “offering special Elopement Packages for selected dates with onsite accommodation for 24 guests”. The feeling here is very vintage. They have multiple charming wedding ceremony locations to choose from. I love the idea of hosting a weekend intimate wedding and elopement in the Hudson Valley here in which you and all your guests can celebrate and stay overnight together.
10. Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa offers capacity for larger weddings – up to 120 guests. However, the Riverknoll House can perfectly situate a small wedding – up to 20 wedding guests and includes three bedrooms. There are also many other accommodation options also available on the property. Buttermilk Falls is known for its peaceful atmosphere and views, along with its amazing farm to table food.
11. Mount Tremper Arts sits tucked into the Catskill mountains and is a wonderful rustic alternative venue. They do host larger weddings but can also accommodate up to 80 guests and there is also a sweet porch that can seat 20 for dinner. Even better they can accommodate 16 + guests overnight.
12. The Forsyth Bed and Breakfast is a fantastic intimate wedding and elopement venue in Kingston, NY. I know this for certain as I have photographed a wedding there. The main house has five guest rooms. Each room in decorated with gorgeous, unfussy details. I first encountered The Forsyth as an overnight guest. The main house can accommodate up to 20 for dinner. In addition, there is a wonderful quaint barn on the property that can host up to 60 wedding guests. The innkeeper, Tamara, is a gracious host and an amazing chef.
A SMALL WEDDING AT THE FORSYTH INN IN KINGSTON, NY
13. Blue Hill at Stone Barns in Tarrytown, NY is the epitome of farm to table food and is located on the most quintessential farm. It really is dreamy. Dan Barber, the chef, and co-owner has revolutionized the farm to table movement.
Traditional weddings at Blue Hill at Stone Barns can accommodate up to 260 guests. However, they can also accommodate up to 16 guests in a private dining room. I have photographed a tiny wedding in the private dining room. It was a dream come true. You can see the blog post from this wedding here: Blue Hill at Stone Barns Wedding
INTIMATE BLUE HILL MICRO WEDDING PICNIC
THE PRIVATE DINING ROOM AT BLUE HILL AT STONE BARNS READY FOR AN INTIMATE WEDDING
14. Kismet’s Secret Garden in the center of Cold Spring Village has recently become available for use as an intimate wedding and elopement Hudson Valley location. Tucked in the side yard of a sweet boutique called Kismet’s, you will find a quaint garden where you and 20 of your guests can gather for an intimate ceremony. A tent is supplied in the case of rain. Added bonus – the owner of Kismet’s, Caryn, is also a wedding officiant! Even simpler, right next door is a wonderful french bistro, Le Bouchon. So easy, gather in the garden for a ceremony officiated and organized by Caryn, then head to Le Bouchon for a meal. Outdoor seating is also available at Le Bouchon.
KISMET’S SECRET GARDEN IN COLD SPRING, NY (PHOTO PROVIDED)
15. In Beacon, NY you can create a customized micro-wedding at Rev. Jim Rooney’s Bed and Breakfast called the Beacon Hermitage.
The eclectic country accommodations are surrounded by lovely gardens, woods, hiking trails, and a small stream waterfall where you can take a dip. Rev. Jim Rooney has many options available for couples wanting an intimate wedding for up to 40 guests – too many to list here.
Also, as you may have guessed, Rev. Jim Rooney is also a wedding officiant! Rev. Jim will officiant your wedding wherever you choose to host your wedding, it need not be at his Beacon Hermitage.
I have has the pleasure of photographing weddings where Rev. Jim Rooney was the officiant. I know firsthand that Rev. Jim is as warm as his Scottish accent. Really truly, Rev. Jim is a genuinely nice and accommodating human being. He understands, as do I, that each couple is unique and puts their needs first.
Check out his website for photos and details: Weddings at the Beacon Hermitage
16. In addition, an intimate wedding or elopement in the Hudson Valley can also be hosted at your home, relative’s house, or an Airbnb. This idea of having a home wedding may sound quaint and lovely, however, it probably requires a lot more work than you might initially imagine.
An alternative would be to host an intimate wedding and elopement in the Hudson Valley at an Airbnb.
Microweddings are commonly held at Airbnbs across the Hudson Valley and the Catskills. An Airbnb wedding can also require a lot of work on the part of the couple, however, it could be fun and cozy to hang casually with you and your closest friends and family for a few days at an Airbnb.
Just be sure to tell your hosts that you plan on hosting a wedding so they can help you make sure you are in compliance with parking regulations, noise ordinances, and their general policies as an Airbnb host. I personally know of a couple of great Airbnb wedding locations in Cold Spring, NY. If you would like more info concerning your intimate wedding and elopement, please reach out.
A SUMMER AIRBNB WEDDING
I am a Hudson Valley photographer based out of Cold Spring, NY. My style is natural and modern, blending documentary wedding photography with creative portraits. It’s my aim to create imagery that makes you FEEL. If you’re looking for stagnant and stiff poses, I am probably aren’t for you. Because I want to capture not only what your love looks like, but what it feels like. We’re all about that human connection. The caress, the tender gaze, the intertwined hands. The quiet moments of nervous anticipation. The sudden emotion when you realize you’re about to marry your best friend. I live for those in-between moments. The moments when you don’t think anybody is watching. I believe these moments are what set your love a part. And with these moments, I create raw, honest and emotive imagery. Photographs that you can look back at in 10, 20, 30 years and remember how you felt. This is your magic. The magic I see in you. The magic I want to show you. Head on over to my contact page so we can start making that magic together.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
I had a little wedding photographer's dream and it went like this… A bride would contact me about an intimate Blue Hill at Stone Barns wedding. The bride would be sweet and unfussy and want a simple wedding that emphasized celebrating love with family and friends....
Hudson Valley Portrait of Sandy Saunders, Gentleman Farmer in Garrison, NY I logged into my Facebook yesterday and the above photo popped up in my memories. It is my first professional photo as a Hudson Valley portrait photographer. It is one of my all-time most...